Saturday, April 26, 2008

I feel like I'm missing some huge, obvious idea: Why did I bring this second color?

I really have no idea what colors are for. I took a purple and yellow (Koh-I-Noor) with me to the mirror, and I drew with the purple. Eventually I used the yellow because the point of the portrait was to see what happened with color. Did anything happen? I can't even tell.

4 comments:

Sister Y said...

"How about a little spot of yellow at the top of the hairline . . . yeah . . . and some at the back of the neck . . . and the top of the ear . . . fuck it, why not the entire left side of the face? Yellow, yellow, yellow, yellow . . . you can't catch me, I'm the Yellow Drawing Man! Oh man how did I miss the eyebrow?"

Seriously I like this drawing. The use of yellow is totally batshit insane though. Awesomely. Awesomely batshit insane.

Thi N said...

Thing colors are for:

#1. Capturing color of the world. You just copy down the colors you see. Just like line drawing. This is impossible with just two colors.

#2. Expressing your inner soul with radiant color-emotions. That's how this one reads to me.

#3. Value studies, which is what I was suggesting when I suggested to you to do things with two colors. Basically, ignore the accuracy of the colors, and treat one as your light and one your dark.


Incidentally, purple and yellow are probably very hard for this. Since they're exact complement. Exact. Probably the worst possible choice to try to do a value study with. You might try initially:

Blue and dark brown
Blue and dark reddish brown
Blue and pale red
Dark green and pale blue
Dark blue and pale green
Medium blue and dark purple, or indigo.
Green and dark yellow. (dark yellow is still your lighter color. Pale yellow is really hard to do 2-color value studies with.)

Thi N said...

Although I'm with Curator - this is batshit crazy, but awesome. Very resonant. Maybe in your frustration your very color-sensitive hindbrain took over.

Or did we start playing a game where we try to exceed each other with false humility, but nobody told me?

(Note: first pass of this, I wrote, "a game of false humidity." Which I want to play, although I don't know what it is.)

Thi N said...

To me, this is you showing your inner spiritual measles, which you can only see with special military-grade ultravision goggles.