I'm trying to get away from my line drawings for a bit, and, although I'm exclusively a graphite man so far, "blocking in" masses, I think it's called. I like it so far; it seems more forgiving, and it also seems to be the way I think about solid objects.

This is my first try, a self-portrait. (Staedtler 6B)

This is from my imagination, and follows many less successful attempts. (Staedtler 6B)
4 comments:
The first one has a particularly nice expression. Very Daniel. Or Daniel crossed with the scared, sad puggle from downstairs. In any case: expressive.
incidentally, i think the "blocking in masses" idea might present some connection between graphite drawings, and color works. you lay down blocks of tone or color, and adjust tonal gradations and saturations before putting in line details. (i'm just learning these concepts and techniques so i could be completely wrong, but that's the beginner's impression.)
Yup - traditional conception is that there's line-thinking and mass-thinking, and mass-thinking is what usually happens in painting. (Though Van Gogh is what happens when you get Asian line-thinking-in-brush mixed in with your Western tradition.) It's why charcoal is the usually taught before painting.
Good exposition of the two in Harold Speed's book, Art and Science of Drawing, which I like a lot.
Line drawing: edges delineated in black.
Mass drawing: edges implied by changes in mass/planes.
Harold Speed's suggestion was something like, uh, line drawing is closer to how things exist in 3D space, mass drawing is closer to how we see.
Post a Comment