Monday, July 21, 2008

lame experiment

These were just two really quick 30-second sketches - mostly lame, but with a new technique. I was reading about old, Rembrandt-era drawing. Pre-watercolor technology. The techniques were to lay down ink lines, and then go over with a water brush, to create shades. Or, to lay down red ink, and then wash with either water or diluted blue ink - it gives you warm reds, cool blues, and white from the paper. I tried:

The one on the right is red ink only, the one on the left is red ink and some blue watercolor in the wash.



1 comment:

Daniel said...

The bottom one is fantastic, and by fantastic, I mean great.

Mr. "lame experiment," you're just ridiculous.

Oh, by the way, the other day, I saw Radha Mitchell with a bouffant hairdo. She was hot in a whole new way. Talk about your lame experiments.